Do you want to help shape Canada’s financial services industry?
Who We Are
The Canadian economy depends on the exchange of billions of dollars each day. Payments Canada is responsible for the clearing and settlement infrastructure, processes and rules essential to those transactions.
Like a complex network of bridges and roads, Payments Canada connects. We connect with our system participants and stakeholders to promote value flow in the economy. And we connect payers and payees to meet the needs of Canadian businesses and consumers.
In accordance with our mandate, Payments Canada also facilitates the interaction of our systems with other payment systems, both within Canada and internationally, and facilitates the development of new payment methods and technologies.
Who You Are
You are an analytical thinker who takes pride in your research and policy expertise, and you seek out opportunities to contribute to the success of your team and organization. You are able to evaluate large and complex data sets, and synthesize a holistic response in support of organizational objectives. You are a polished professional who enjoys working as an integral member of a cross-functional team.
You have an undergraduate degree in a relevant area and experience in an economics, policy or research related position. You get energized by multitasking under tight deadlines and take pride in being detail-oriented. Your colleagues commend you on your strong organizational skills. You wake up every morning with a continuous improvement perspective, and you have demonstrated this by sharing your innovative thinking.
As an Associate Economist, you will work with a team of dedicated research and policy professionals committed to sharpening Payments Canada’s leading edge in the payments ecosystem. The high-quality and original research program at Payments Canada aligns with the objectives outlined in the strategic plan. Central to the team’s mandate is to execute a corporate research agenda that maintains Payments Canada as a Center of Excellence for payments, clearing, and settlement knowledge and research.
Some of the main responsibilities for this role will include:
- Undertaking original high-quality research and analysis in support of Payments Canada’s strategic objectives, and developing recommendations based on findings from this research.
- Maintaining models used to conduct empirical and/or theoretical research in support of strategic objectives.
- Contributing to large-scale projects being undertaken by the Policy and Research team.
- Participating in research partnerships with colleagues inside and outside of our organization.
- Participating in workshops and conferences to enhance Payments Canada’s research capacity, and to help build Payments Canada’s brand.
- Remaining current on developments in the payments research and industry literature, and highlight issues of relevance to Payments Canada.
- Masters’ degree in economics, finance, statistics, or a related field, or an appropriate combination of work experience and an undergraduate degree in the same fields
- Experience conducting quantitative, economic, or financial research and/or policy analysis
- Valid criminal records check or eligible to obtain
- Experience in the payments or finance industry is considered an asset
- Bilingualism (English and French) is considered an asset
- Occasional travel outside of the Ottawa area may be required
Payments Canada as an Employer
Talent development is a priority at Payments Canada. Advancement of your skills and competencies is of mutual benefit to you as an individual and to us as an organization. Payments Canada will provide you with a team environment and organizational culture that will support continued growth and individual learning opportunities that progress you along a rewarding career path.
We offer a competitive compensation package commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package.
What We Need From You
If this role excites you, we want to hear from you! Please take the time to tell us about yourself in a cover letter – we want to hear your story – your background, your accomplishments, and why this role is a good fit with your future career aspirations.
Qualified applicants should submit their covering letter and résumé, including salary expectations, to: firstname.lastname@example.org by December 14, 2017. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.