Do you want to help shape Canada’s financial services industry?
Who We Are
The Canadian economy depends on the exchange of billions of dollars each day. Payments Canada is responsible for the clearing and settlement infrastructure, processes and rules essential to those transactions.
Like a complex network of bridges and roads, Payments Canada connects. We connect with our system participants and stakeholders to promote value flow in the economy. And we connect payers and payees to meet the needs of Canadian businesses and consumers.
In accordance with our mandate, Payments Canada also facilitates the interaction of our systems with other payment systems, both within Canada and internationally, and facilitates the development of new payment methods and technologies.
Who You Are
You have an undergraduate degree in economics, business administration, social sciences or equivalent, with more than 10 years’ of progressive experience within the payments industry, and minimum of 5 years in product management.
You are a subject matter expert who is energized by mentoring others, and have a minimum of 5 years in a product management leadership role. Your business acumen is exceptional. You have a particular strength in synthesizing internal and external industry knowledge to contribute to sound decision-making. You are candid and thorough, can manage competing priorities under tight deadlines and take pride in being able to multi-task with high attention to detail. In all of your endeavors you maintain leadership confidence, and project credibility and visibility throughout the business unit and organization.
You are an accomplished presenter and networker, and you like to think of yourself as a promotor of your company’s positive image and progressive ideas. You thrive on working independently, yet you work well in a team environment supporting departmental objectives.
Payments Canada has recently launched a multi-year, multi-phase business transformational program: Modernization. This initiative focuses on aligning the needs of member institutions, users (consumer and business), and regulators with changes to Payments Canada’s core payments infrastructure and rules/policies to further enable the payments ecosystem in meeting the broader needs of users. The program is designed to improve the overall client experience and enhance the broader public policy objectives for the payments system (i.e., safety, soundness, and efficiency and user interests).
The Real-Time Rail (RTR) Product Manager is responsible for leading the development and maintenance of the RTR product vision, roadmap, requirements and rules framework, working collaboratively with internal Payments Canada stakeholders to establish the RTR operational framework and developing product description and documentation for participants and all stakeholders. This role will collaborate closely with the RTR Product Manager – Market Adoption, to ensure necessary product features and functionalities and supporting structures are in place for successful adoption. The RTR Product Manager is a member of the RTR team and will think big, get results and live our values of trust, collaboration, and excellence.
The successful candidate will deliver high-quality authoritative product, policy, regulatory, business and operational advice on Payments Canada’s Modernization initiative, the Real-Time Rail in particular; rules and standards; and other matters arising from the development, launch and operation of Payments Canada’s national real-time clearing and settlement system. The successful candidate will also create the conditions for proactive industry engagement and collaboration to support effective decision-making toward the achievement of Payments Canada objectives and priorities.
The RTR Product Manager has responsibility for the following:
- Developing and maintaining RTR product vision, roadmap and requirements.
- Providing expert advice, leading the development of a rule framework for the Real-Time Rail.
- Leading the development of the business and operational framework in close collaboration with the broader Modernization team, Payments Services, Technology, and other Payments Canada teams as appropriate.
- Documenting Payments Canada’s internal stakeholder roles and responsibilities, by team, required to support the product.
- Leading the developing the long-term growth and/or maintenance strategy of the RTR.
- Developing product description and supporting documentation for all stakeholders.
- Collaborating with the RTR Product Manager, Market Adoption to ensure success in the market.
- Building the influence and reputation of Payments Canada, working on issues that impact design/selling success or address future concepts, products or technologies as they relate to the RTR.
- Establishing and maintaining strategic relationships within and throughout the Payments ecosystem.
- Working with the Director, Modernization (RTR), provide overall strategic direction, policy, regulatory, business and operational leadership to the RTR team.
- Providing a business interface role between Payments Canada management, Financial Institutions, the Bank of Canada and other external stakeholders, ensuring operational issues impacting members or Payments Canada are identified, analyzed and resolved.
The position may be based in Ottawa or Toronto, with occasional travel between the two cities.
- Undergraduate degree in economics, business administration, social sciences, or related field
- Minimum of 10 years’ of progressive experience within the payments industry
- Minimum of 5 years’ of experience in product management
- Experience in a leadership role
- Experience with clearing and settlement processes
- Experience in product development
- Knowledge of payment schemes offered in Canada or internationally
- Valid criminal records check or eligibility to obtain
- Ability to work flexible hours
Payments Canada as an Employer
Talent development is a priority at Payments Canada. Advancement of your skills and competencies is of mutual benefit to you as an individual and to us as an organization. Payments Canada will provide you with a team environment and organizational culture that will support continued growth and individual learning opportunities that progress you along a rewarding career path.
We offer a competitive compensation package commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package.
What We Need From You
If this role excites you, we want to hear from you! Please take the time to tell us about yourself in a cover letter – we want to hear your story – your background, your accomplishments, and why this role is a good fit with your future career aspirations.
Qualified applicants should submit their covering letter and résumé, including salary expectations, to: email@example.com. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.