Welcome to The PayPod, Payments Canada’s multi-episode podcast which explores the trends and topics influencing payments in Canada and around the world.
Hear Cyrielle Chiron, Chief Strategy Officer at Payments Canada and host of The PayPod, interview leading experts and respected thought leaders about the changing payments landscape, the needs of Canadians and how payments Modernization will deliver on them.
Where to listen:
Episode 22: The future of modern payments
In this episode, host Cyrielle Chiron introduces a pre recorded webinar from The SUMMIT Series that took place earlier this year. The discussion explores what’s in store for modern payments, including what payment modernization initiatives are coming online in Canada and how they will enable new services that drive value for businesses and consumers.
- Andrew McFarlane, Chief External Relations Officer, Payments Canada
- Edgar Barbosa, Partner and Canadian Payments Leader, PwC Canada
- Michelle Beyo, CEO & Founder, FINAVATOR
- Ryan Rabin, Vice President, Payments, ATB Financial
- Ryan Grundy, Lead, Industry Relations, Payments Canada
Episode 21: The battle for customer experience
The pandemic has changed payments forever; 2025 is happening now. As digital payments have become almost universally accepted, the next gold rush is for customer experience: own the experience, own the value. What can the payments industry learn from the birth of the credit card in the 1950s to create the standard for services in today’s space? What role will traditional institutions have in the incredible innovation fueling the payments industry? In this episode of The PayPod, host Cyrielle Chiron is joined by Michael Abbott, Global Banking Lead at Accenture, to catch up on the ideas explored in his keynote at The 2021 SUMMIT – back to the future of payments.
- Michael Abbott, Global Banking Lead at Accenture
Episode 20: Faster payments are only part of the real-time payments story
When we hear about real-time payments the first thing we think of is speed. But when it comes to the Real-Time-Rail (RTR), faster payments are only part of the story. In this episode, host Cyrielle Chiron is joined by Janet Lalonde, Senior Director, Real-Time-Rail at Payments Canada to discuss the value of real-time payments and how the RTR is more than a payment system, but a platform for innovation.
- Janet Lalonde, Senior Director, Real-Time-Rail, Payments Canada
Episode 19: Modernizing high-value payment systems
Jurisdictions around the world are modernizing their high-value payment systems, with ISO 20022 as a key driver. Canada is keeping pace. Lynx, Canada’s new high-value payment system, launched in August 2021. To put this landmark development into a global context, this episode of The PayPod will revisit a discussion from The 2021 SUMMIT that features an overview of the high-value payment system work under way in three different jurisdictions: the U.K., Europe and the U.S.
- Jean Clement, Advisor, Payments Systems, European Central Bank
- Richard Dzina, SVP, The Clearing House
- James Southgate, Senior Manager, RTGS Renewal Programme, Bank of England
- Mike Hoganson, Director, Modernization, Payments Canada
Episode 18: Canada's payments modernization plan
In this episode, host Cyrielle Chiron introduces a prerecorded webinar from The SUMMIT Series that took place earlier this year. The discussion explores Canada's payments modernization plan and what upcoming changes in payments will mean for individuals, businesses, and the future of payments in Canada - featuring Andrew McFarlane of Payments Canada, Andrew Obee from Ficanex, Derek Vernon from BMO, and Sue Whitney from Central 1.
- Andrew McFarlane, Executive Director, Modernization, Payments Canada
- Andrew Obee, President & CEO, Ficanex
- Derek Vernon, VP and Head, Enterprise Payments Modernization, BMO
- Sue Whitney, VP, Payments Strategy and Relationships, Central 1
Episode 17: Trends shaping payments in 2021
Evolving technology and payments innovation continues to transform the way Canadian consumers and businesses make payments. In this episode, host Cyrielle Chiron, is joined by Kate Frankish, Director of Strategy at Pay.UK to discuss the trends and topics influencing the payments landscape on a global scale in 2021.
- Kate Frankish, CEO, Director of Strategy, Pay.UK